Before I tried this I have to share with you all that I was extremely skeptical.  You see I am a huge sausage and peppers fan, and I just couldn't see how turkey sausage could be anywhere near close to being as good as regular sausage.

How wrong I was.

turkey

I had picked this up at the store just to try it.  There are 5 of them and if you are counting Smartpoints they are only 4 points each.

Four. Smartpoints. Each.

That is a big bang for your Smarpoints buck.  Trust me, I am not one of those Weight Watchers who will eat something and act like it's fabulous just because it's low points or because you can eat a crap ton of it for low Smartpoints.

Nope, I'm a food snob thank you very much.  This is GOOD.

You can cut them up, and top rice or polenta with it:

sand2

You can put it on a bun with some Cape Cod chips for a 10 point dinner:

sand1

Oh, and one more thing.  The sauce from this is amazing so save it!  It is great on pasta or spaghetti squash!

Continue on for recipe!  You can make this in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) or in your slow cooker.  I'll include directions for both.  I count 5 Smartpoints for each link due to the saute in oil.

Ingredients:

I package Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage (5 links)
1 28 oz can crush tomatoes
1/2 cup good chicken broth (I use Wildtree)
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Wildtree Spaghetti Blend (or spaghetti/Italian seasoning found in your grocery store)
2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 medium white onion sliced
4 Green Peppers (I do more because I love them, usually 6) sliced
1 tablespoon Wildtree Garlic Infused Grapeseed Oil (or your favorite high smoke point oil)

Method of Preparation:

Instant Pot:
Turn pot on to saute mode.  Add oil and once sizzling add your sausages, cooking on each side 2-3 minutes or until browned.

Remove from pot and add onions, cooking for about 3 minutes.  Add garlic to pot, stirring frequently 2 more minutes.  Add broth and scaping the bottom of the pan, getting off any little bits that might be stuck.

Put your crushed tomatoes and seasoning in the pot.  Bring to a boil, turn off saute mode and add Sausages and peppers.  Secure lid and set on manual for 15 minutes.  Once the pot is done cooking do a 10 minute natural release, and then release the pressure.

Be sure to check that your sausages are cooked through, to at least 165 degrees.  There should be no problem but I am paranoid and always check.

For the slow cooker: Brown your sausages in a skillet, then the onions and garlic.  Deglaze with broth and pour into slow cooker with all other ingredients.  Cook on low 6 hours or until Sausage reach a safe temperature.

Going_Home_Final_Front SMALLs

Aside from writing this blog, I have a new novel out.  Going Home is a book about second chances, set in a holiday obsessed town.  If you like Hallmark movies, you'll love this book!

If you are interested in what kind of diet I follow, click here.

Love Instant Pot recipes and cooking healthy?  Check out my Facebook Group.

Subscribe to my blog to get updates via email in the left sidebar or follow me on my facebook page.

Click here to read my disclosure statement.